Sunday, September 28, 2008

My Personal Leadership Goals/Beliefs

I am convinced that to be a productive manager, one must also be a good leader. However, not all managers are leaders and most leaders do not become managers. A leader should listen to ideas from different sources and try to direct the team or organization to perform its best. According to the leadership theories that I have studied, my personal leadership style includes participative, contingency and path-goal theories (Iwasaki, 2003). I believe that as a leader I am able to apply the style that is most effective for each situation as it arises. I have always operated by developing a relationship of trust among followers or team members. Trust increases individual involvement in decision-making and improves the understanding of the issues involved by those who must carry out the decisions.
When making decisions in a group, I prefer to get consensus from each member before carrying out any decisions. I have found that people are more committed to following a course of action when they have actively participated in the decision-making process. Additionally, people are less competitive and more collaborative when they are committed to common goals. Further, when decisions are made on a collective basis, as opposed to that of one person deciding for the group, the end result is usually a successful one. I believe that many of the a available leadership styles must work in tandem with one another. Our goal should be to be a successful leader and not an autocratic failure.

1 comment:

James Lutz said...

Richard,
I agree with the ownership aspect of a team. I teach team classes at CCAD. I have seen students who withdraw their participation from the group if their idea is not chosen. It is tough to get everyone feeling good about their role in the group (at the same time). It seems there is a need for us all to feel like relevant contributors. The best managers can draw the best out of all individuals in a group.
Jim